I like to eat junk food. This I have shared before and for me it is an emotional thing when I have a junk food binge. If I am sad, or bored or stressed or tired I crave sugar and I can’t think of anything I want to do more than scoff some chocolate. I have blogged about when this has happened before.
I’m not talking about treating myself to a chocolate bar I am talking whole big bar of choc, whole tub of ice cream, even more choc and then some biscuits type comfort eating.
Sometimes it makes me feel better. But most of the time it makes me feel sick and guilty that in about 5 minutes I have unravelled days worth of good eating efforts.
As I am so close to my target weight I really want to be able to control these bad habits. I want to be able to relax with eating when I reach my goal, but if I keep having these binges I will most definitely end up putting the weight back on and being in a never ending weight gain/weight loss cycle. I don’t want to feel like I am on a diet forever.
So I sat down the other day and wrote a list of things I should do or think about when I feel the temptation to eat junk. I want to try and focus on how far I have come and how important the healthy eating is and clear my head of whatever is making me stressed or angry. So here it is:
- Think about how well I am doing with exercise and how much better I am now
- Think about how close to target weight I am
- If at work…change to a different task/project/campaign to avoid boredom
- Think about how many syns I have left for the day…and then think about a nice treat I can have with them…later that night
- Distract myself and focus on the good stuff by planning meals or runs
- Think about how I feel today about my weight and body. If I don’t feel too great about it, remind myself that eating now will just make me feel worse. If I am feeling good, think about all the hard work that went into it and how much I don’t want to do it all again
- Ignore the voice in my head which says ‘Just have xxx and then stop’…treats are good but I rarely stop at just xxx if I am in this frame of mind!
Are any of you guilty of sabotaging your own diets or health with the same bad habit over and over?